Do you feel restless at times? Have you experienced waking up from long hours of sleep but still feel you are not rested? Do you feel uneasy, easily irritated and worrisome? Do you know the reason behind this? What do you do to relieve this feeling? Restlessness can be defined as feeling restless, uneasy, agitated or fidgety. Factors like stress, lack of sleep, worrier personality and even medical conditions like sleep disorders, anxiety disorders, thyroid problems and hormonal imbalance can contribute to the feeling. Restless feeling can come form a number of reasons, the most common is stress. Feeling something wrong and remaining uneasy despite all effort are classic example of what a restless person experience. Managing stress properly can help alleviate restlessness.Knowing the source of restlessness and addressing it can help relieve this condition. For immediate relief when you feel restless, there are relaxation techniques that will help you handle the feeling. Below are simple tips on the things to do when you feel restless.
Stress is the primary reason for being restless.Stress is something that is experienced by everyone and is an integral part of life. In school, work, or even at home, stress cannot be avoided. Stress can affect the activities of daily in many ways than one. It can lead to poor motor functions and impede intellectual functions or how we think and behave. Stress can make you feel restless making it hard to focus and concentrate. Feeling restless can affect the quality of work of an individual. It leaves a feeling of uneasiness and discomfort. Resolving restlessness is a matter of focus and understanding.
The simple rule to combat restlessness is to relax. It may sound easy but harder to practice especially at the peak of anxiety. Here are simple tips to help you manage restlessness through relaxation techniques:
• Deep breathing exercises. Doing deep breathing can help calm the body and mind by increasing oxygen input and enhancing blood flow. Deep breathing expands the lungs by stretching its muscles and helps in maintaining optimum body functions.
• Meditation: Meditation is a practice done by allowing the mind reach a state of focus and consciousness. Meditation can be done in a quite room with sufficient ventilation. Meditation can reap more benefits for the body aside from reducing the feeling of restlessness. Meditation is sometimes attributed to religion because praying is a form of meditation that can be done what ever culture or raise a person may have. Focusing on something that is not seen can help calm the mind and body. Although proper meditation can only be achieved through practice it can be done even if it is the first time a person meditates.
• Stretching can help relieve tensions of the muscles and reduce the feeling of anxiety. This can also give the muscles a break from stress. It can be done in order to relieve the feeling of restless.
• Rhythmic exercise: Rhythmic exercise can help improve blood circulation and relax the mind along with it. Rhythmic exercises include walking or jogging. These exercises do not put much stress on the muscles but can help improve breathing and calm the body.
• Massage: A simple massage to the back or even a whole body massage can help reduce stress and manage the feeling of restlessness in an individual. Massage improved blood flow and relaxes tense muscles.
• Programs: There are several programs like tai chi, Pilates, or yoga that can help reduce stress and relieve restlessness. Each program has a specific procedure that can be followed in order to reap its full benefits. All of these programs can improve circulation and reduce muscles tensions.
• Water: Drinking a glass of water can help calm the nerves and reduce restless feeling. Drinking water can stimulate peristaltic movement and circulation to help relieve stress.
• Adequate rest and sleep- ensure that you are well rested. Lack of sleep can contribute to the loss of concentration and decrease energy level.
Relaxation techniques have been developed in order to have the body and mind attain peace and comfort. Reaching the level of calmness and reducing stress and anxiety are the main goals of relaxation techniques. Any thing that can help improve blood circulation can help in relaxing.
There are instances that the restlessness is cause by medical conditions and can only be treated by addressing the health concern. It is best to seek the help of your health care provider during the times when restlessness in unmanageably or is already affecting your daily functioning. Pharmacological treatments and psychosocial treatments are also available to help relief the feeling.